Anyone following the news lately might need to pop a Prozac. High unemployment, an economy that seems to be stalling and a whole lot of government debt that needs to be dealt with. With all the gloom and doom in the press, who wants to think about the future? But cheer up! Perhaps this year, summer vacations will be a little simpler; this could be a good thing. If you’re going to be on stay-cation, you might invest a few hours to make sure your home is in tip top shape with some maintenance free options that will last well into the future and give you a good return on your time and money.
Consider gutter protection. It may not be at the top of your list of things you’ve been thinking about, but here are five reasons why a micro mesh gutter guard is a good investment even when times are tough:
- Your home is your biggest asset. Sure, right now it may not be worth what it was back in 2008, but it’s likely you’ve got more invested in your home than in anything else. You might find it hard to believe but real estate has a habit of bouncing back, albeit in time. Homeowners are staying put for longer, trading up homes seems so retro right now. Your neighbors worry about keeping up the value of their homes–well, so should you! State-of-the-art kitchens and baths might be out of your budget, but you can add some lower ticket items to your home that are attractive. If you’re thinking about your home’s exterior, think low maintenance. Gutter guards that mean people don’t have to perch on ladders and clean their gutters every season are a great way to help your home to maintain its value.
- People notice those little signs that show you stay on top of home maintenance. Do you think that putting off upkeep on your home now will save you money in the end? Think again. You can wind up with expensive problems that will have to be dealt with. Poor gutter maintenance can actually cause water in your basement, termites or carpenter ants, or animals in your attic.
- Water damage is extremely costly to deal with. Every dollar counts these days. Sadly, many of the problems that can result from letting gutter maintenance slide can cost big bucks. Several also require you hire a professional to deal with the problem. It’s often very costly to deal with water problems, far more expensive than installing a gutter guard in the first place.
- An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. That gutter might look perfectly clean to you, but it takes only one leaf sitting the wrong way over a downspout to cause a problem. Gutter cleaning shouldn’t have to be a frequent event. If you have a quality gutter cover installed, you shouldn’t have to think about it at all.
- More time for other things. In good times, we all lead busy lives–even more in the not-so-good times. Like a lot of other people these days, you probably have to work harder to make ends meet, and sometimes it can feel like you’re on a hamster wheel! We all have other things that we’d like to focus on other than our “Honey-Do” list. Since gutter cleaning is seasonal, taking the hours back from this task for something else can put you in a better frame of mind. Having more time to spend with family and friends? So worth it!
If you walked into your kitchen right now and saw a leak, you would be calling a plumber 10 seconds later. No one wants a leak that can damage walls, cabinets or both. We tend to catch these problems quickly. But when water is running down our house’s outer walls, we don’t even think about it until we come home at the end of a long day and find a problem has developed. Your mother was right–don’t let things go!